CalFresh Outreach Specialist (Bilingual Cantonese Required)
Job Status: Non-exempt
Location: San Francisco
Salary: Competitive pay based on qualifications and experience
CalFresh Outreach, Screening and Application Assistance
- Develop an understanding of CalFresh program application and enrollment procedures (extensive training will be provided).
- Educate clients on eligibility for the CalFresh program and provide pre-screening and application assistance
- Strengthen existing and establish new outreach connections at community based sites utilizing innovative methods for identifying and reaching non-participating populations.
- Adapt existing educational and marketing materials (from public and private sources) for use within pantry network.
- Provide non-eligible participants with referrals to accessing free food distribution programs and other resources.
Client Data Management and Tracking
- Track outreach activities, pre-screens, applications submitted, outcomes, and other data.
- Maintain accurate database of client information.
- Maintain client confidentiality.
- Assist in identifying clients who could be helpful in media related events.
- Maintain accurate files and contribute to preparation of monthly reports.
Other Responsibilities and Expectations
- Assume responsibility for understanding and learning about CalFresh and other public benefits as well as their impact on clients’ lives to more effectively assist clients through the application process. Trainings will be provided.
- Availability to work some evenings and weekends.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Fluency in spoken Cantonese required, fluency in Mandarin strongly preferred.
- Ability to read and write modern standard Chinese
- College graduate or equivalency preferred
- Ability to maintain client confidentiality; ability to manage challenging clients and situations.
- Proven record of accuracy in completing, tracking, and reviewing data.
- Demonstrated ability to follow established procedures and organize, plan and carry out activities to meet specific timelines.
- Valid driver’s license (access to vehicle strongly preferred but not required)
- Physical Demands: Ability to stand and talk to people waiting for food distributions outdoors; comfort in a variety of settings and physical arrangements. Ability to carry up to 20 pounds of materials.
You might be a perfect fit if you:
- Have one or more years of experience in non-profit or social services sector working directly with clients and/or engaging the community.
- Have sensitivity to the needs of economically disadvantaged individuals.
- Are dependable in maintaining a flexible schedule and communicating changes when needed.
- Have the ability to work and interact with individuals (staff, volunteers and clients) from a variety of socioeconomic backgrounds in a culturally diverse work environment.
- Have experience working with clients facing multiple barriers to receiving services.
- Are passionate about ending hunger and are interested in food issues, social justice, and community advocacy
We provide excellent medical, dental, generous 403B retirement plan, FSA, life insurance, competitive salary, vacation, sick and holiday leave, career development, celebrations and activities.
We’re a team of more than 130 dedicated, inspiring people working together to end hunger in San Francisco and Marin. We’re serious about the mission, and also committed to building a terrific place to work. We thrive in an environment that fosters collaboration, leadership, excellence, accountability and respect. If you would like to be a part of building a community where nutritious food is available to all, please consider joining us.
The SF-Marin Food Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Please send cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com.
Use “Job title, your name” as the subject line.