San Francisco-Marin Food Bank is happy to receive food donations from across the food industry. We obtain food from manufacturers, produce growers and packers, distributors and wholesalers, grocery stores, as well as community food drives.
Donors who have 300 pounds or more of food can schedule a pick-up by calling our Food Sourcing Department at 415-282-1900 ext 239 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have food that needs to be chilled, we will make arrangements for one of our temperature-controlled trucks to pick up your donation.
If you have less than 300 pounds of food to donate, please drop off at our warehouses:
900 Pennsylvania Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94107
Drop-off times: Monday – Friday, 8 am – 3 pm
2550 Kerner Boulevard
San Rafael, CA 94901
Drop-off times: Monday – Friday, 8 am – 3:30 pm
Looking for a food drop-off location close to where you live or work? Click here.
Foods We Accept
We accept food that is in its original packaging, unopened and within our food code date/extension guidelines. We accept whole, fresh produce without significant decay.
Foods We Do Not Accept:
• Vitamins and nutritional aids
• Pet food
• Baby formula
• Bulk products that are unlabeled for ingredients and allergens
• Foods that were not kept at the appropriate temperatures
• Mixed food and perishables from catered events
• Restaurant food
• Foods intended for raw consumption (sushi or seafood)
• Canned goods that are open, punctured, bulging or seriously damaged
• Home prepared, home canned or home jarred products
• Items that contain alcohol or have alcohol in the product name
If you are a restaurant or caterer and wish to donate prepared or cooked foods, we encourage you to contact Food Runners in San Francisco or ExtraFood in Marin.
Nutritious Food For All
We are committed to providing nutritious food for all. If you’d like to learn more about our nutrition beliefs and about the guidelines we aim for when making food sourcing decisions, please read our Food Sourcing Policy.
We Practice Food Safety Every Day
At the San Francisco-Marin Food Bank we take our responsibility to you and the people we serve very seriously. Donating food to our Food Bank isn’t only smart, it’s safe, too.
• All of our drivers and warehouse staff are trained to handle food safely. They undergo yearly food-safety training.
• We have over 20 employees who are ServSafe certified, learn more here.
• Our trucks are refrigerated to keep food at safe temperatures.
• We train all partner agencies how to safely prepare and handle food they receive from the Food Bank.
• We evaluated our partner agency pantries and kitchens for their food-safety practices.
• We hold the AIB Food Safety Designation, learn more here and are routinely inspected by the USDA and State and County Public Health Inspectors.
Worried About Liability?
There is no danger in donating food to San Francisco-Marin Food Bank that follows the guidelines above. The federal government has laws protecting donors from liability; read the law here.