Get the latest

Follow Us:

  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Mail

Get Food

Helplink’s 211 call center is confidential, multilingual and available 24-hours a day.
If you have trouble calling 2-1-1, call 800-273-6222 (TTY 415-808-4440 or 711). You can also visit them online at


Open Meal Sites and Pantries in San Francisco

The Free Eats Chart and Free Pantry Chart list specific meal programs and food pantries throughout the city. Download the charts here.

Open Meal Sites and Pantries in Marin

Call 2-1-1.  Also, St. Vincent de Paul in San Rafael serves a hot breakfast and lunch and a bagged dinner for Marin residents 7 days a week.

Supplemental Food Program

The Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP) is a federal program that provides a monthly box of nutritious USDA food to low-income seniors. For more information and eligibility requirements, click here (English). (In Chinese) (In Russian) (In Spanish) To access a calendar of CSFP food distribution sites (pdf), click here.

CalFresh Eligibility

What is CalFresh?

CalFresh is a federal nutrition program for low-income individuals and families. Formerly known as the food stamp program and federally known as SNAP (supplemental nutrition assistance program), this program provides a monthly nutrition benefit which is used via an EBT card (similar to a debit card). The benefit can be used to purchase groceries at major markets, small retailers, and even farmer’s markets.  

Who is Eligible for CalFresh?

U.S. Citizens and most Legal Permanent Residents that meet certain income guidelines may be eligible for CalFresh benefits. Although unauthorized immigrants are not eligible for this benefit, other family members who are legal permanent residents can still apply to receive CalFresh.

*In California, people who receive SSI/SSP do not qualify for CalFresh, but other household members may still qualify.


People who own cars or homes CAN get CalFresh.
People with full-time or part-time jobs CAN get CalFresh.
People who do not work/are receiving unemployment CAN get CalFresh.
People who have savings accounts CAN get CalFresh.
You do NOT need to pay back CalFresh.
Fingerprints are no longer required as of January 1, 2012.

How Can I Apply for CalFresh?

The San Francisco and Marin Food Banks provide CalFresh application assistance in San Francisco County.  Our Benefits Outreach Specialists can help you figure out if you are eligible and assist with your application submission to the county offices.  Please call the Food Bank directly to speak with someone regarding CalFresh. Call 415-820-1448 for assistance in English, Chinese, Spanish, and Russian.

San Francisco 
In San Francisco, you can also apply directly online through Benefits CalWin or visit the Human Services Agency offices at: 
• Main Office: 1235 Mission Street between 8th and 9th Streets
• Career Link Center: 3120 Mission Street at Cesar Chavez Street

You can also call Food Assistance Service Center at (415) 558-1001 and follow the prompts to speak with a benefits consultant in your language of choice.

Marin County
In Marin, you can apply directly online through C for Yourself or visit the Human Services Agency offices at:
• San Rafael: 120 North Redwood Drive, San Rafael, CA 94903, phone (415) 473-3400
• West Marin: 100 6th Street,  Point Reyes Station, CA 94956, phone (415) 663-8231


Visit for access to healthy recipes, support from online dietitians, and helpful nutrition resources.
Information available in English, Chinese and Spanish.

In accordance with Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.

To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call toll free (866) 632-9992 (Voice). TDD users can contact USDA through local relay or the Federal Relay at (800) 877-8339 (TDD) or (866) 377-8642 (relay voice users). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.